Doctor of Business Administration (Cum Laude)
Academic Director of WBCSD Leadership Program
Managing Director Redefining Value
World Business Council for Sustainable Development: Geneva, Switzerland.
Rodney Irwin is a 27-year experienced finance director and professionally qualified Chartered Accountant with extensive experience in financial and non-financial reporting and sustainability, financial control, internal auditing, business ethics, corporate governance, internal control over financial and non-financial reporting, quality, environmental and health and safety management standards.
Rodney has experience at some of the world’s leading organisations and has a global perspective and empathy for cultural diversity including 12 years in senior finance roles reporting to the Board and Supervisory Board at TNT NV and more recently as a Managing Director of the World Business Council for Sustainable Development.
A trained and competent facilitator Rodney has worked with both Boards and Supervisory Boards in multinational organisations in the private and humanitarian sectors. In 2002 – 2005 Rodney presented the idea of embedding enterprise wide risk management into the UN World Food Programme and was successful in getting a formal risk management programme rolled out in the WFP, the first of any UN organisation to do so.
His research is applied research that focuses on the use of mainstream management accounting and control systems to strategically support and implement sustainable outcomes within businesses and has published or supervised publication on risk management, internal control, assurance on sustainability information. He is the principal author of the WBCSD’s Annual “Reporting Matters” research and publication on the effectiveness of non-financial reporting.
- Irwin, R (2012) – An investigation into how the transport suppliers employed by multinational companies contributes to the spread of HIV in Sub-Saharan Africa (www.cam.ac.uk/research/news/research-recommends-how-to-tackle-spread-of-hivaids-by-african-truckers#sthash.zaRWNTHi.dpuf) Cambridge University
- WBCSD Publication (Supervisory or Principal Author): All studies and publications conducted using WBCSD sourced data are required to be published as WBCSD per my contract of employment
- Sustainability and Enterprise Risk Management: the first step towards integration (January 2017) (www.wbcsd.org/Projects/Non-financial-Measurement-and-Valuation/Resources/Sustainability-and-enterprise-risk-management-The-first-step-towards-integration)
- Reporting Matters: Communicating the Sustainability Development Goal’s (October 2016) (www.wbcsd.org/Projects/Reporting/Resources/Reporting-Matters-2016)
- Generating Value from External Assurance of Sustainability Reporting (January 2016) (www.wbcsd.org/Projects/Reporting/Resources/Generating-Value-from-External-Assurance-of-Sustainability-Reporting)
- Social Capital in Decision Making (October 2015) (www.wbcsd.org/documents/social-capital-in-decision-making-how-social-information-drives-value-creation.aspx)
- Towards a Social Capital Protocol: A Call for Collaboration (2015) (www.wbcsd.org/Projects/Non-financial-Measurement-and-Valuation/Resources/Towards-a-Social-Capital-Protocol-A-Call-for-Collaboration)
- SDG Compass – Guide for Business on the Sustainable Development Goals (September 2015) – (www.sdgcompass.org/download-guide/)